A background check is something that thoroughly reviews a candidate’s past records and also how they’ve lived their lives, if they’ve had any brushes with criminals or if they have committed any crimes themselves, their driving records, and everything else. It is typically done by the human resources department of the company which the candidate is applying in. These checks can even include a credit check too. Here are a few steps to follow before doing background checks:
- You should have a consistent policy. Some very irregular background checks can raise some eyebrows and also raise some legal issues if you are applying only certain steps on the candidates. This can be doing only credit checks and not the others, on certain candidates just because of their caste, sex, religion, color, etc.
- You should make sure that you get proper and perfect legal advice from accomplished and established legal entities and lawyers. Background checks can actually reveal some very sensitive information.
- You should make sure to grant the candidates a proper chance to clear out some mistakes and even misunderstandings, if any. The information which is obtained through background checks can sometimes be incorrect. You should give the candidates a chance to review it and confirm the authenticity of the information.
- You should not assume that parts of the backgrounds check processes are routine. Some critical information can often pop up and come up in some of the most mundane steps in the background checks. You should hire managers who will take the entire process seriously and also pay proper and full attention to the information that is obtained.
- It is not a good idea to ask for some kinds of information about the person’s character when verifying their previous employment. You should not ask for the opinions of other people when it comes to your potential employee.
What is included in a basic background check?
- The candidate’s social security is validated. Their social security number, their address, all the information which is given by them is checked and made sure that everything is genuine.
- Criminal record check is conducted to see if the candidate has had a part in any criminal activities in their life.
- They also check if the candidate has been on the U.S terror watch list.
- It is also very important to check if the candidate is a part of the sex offender’s registry.
After reading the above brief explanation of what takes place in a comprehensive background check, you should have gotten an idea as to how important it is to perform a background check. If candidates clear all of these checks, they are considered for a position in the company.